10 Playoffs, 8 Finals, 3 Times Champions and the aging lions have finally failed for the first time in Indian Premier League.
What can be the reasons for this epic failure!!
A downfall that neither Cricket Fans nor Cricket Pandits could digest.
I can easily see three reasons for this downfall ->
1. Most of the prominent players of CSK hardly play any other forms of cricket.
2. Lack of fitness leading to bad fielding and running between the wickets.
3. Being adamant about not bringing replacements in place of Suresh Raina and Harbhajan Singh.
This season things started getting tougher right from the start for CSK.
CSK was being criticized in 2018 when they bought a lot of aged players and very few youngsters.
However, they proved everyone wrong by getting the trophy in 2018 and being runner ups in 2019.
Their USP was clear, they wanted to invest in experienced players who had showcased enough temperament in pressure situations.
It was quite a healthy strategy as if you can handle pressure well in a tournament like IPL then you have already solved 50% of the issues.
However, as they say, your biggest strength can sometimes become your weakness as well.
The problem is that each and every player of CSK is now 2.5 years elder to what he was during 2018 auctions.
It was clearly visible in the field as they never choke their opponents in the field.
Apart from Ravindra Jadeja and Faf du Plessis, they had no fielder who could create some spark on the field.
Easy singles and doubles were always available and their batters were not getting those singles and doubles at all because of lack of fitness.
Clearly, there was no hunger being showed by CSK this season.
There were games against Rajasthan Royals and Kolkata Knight Riders that they let go very easily.
There was a point of time after 7-8 games that CSK didn’t have enough options on their bench to consider.
Replacements for Raina and Bhajji could have given some relief here.
MS Dhoni and Suresh Raina are the Jay – Viru of CSK. Suresh Raina opted out of IPL for the first time, and we can see the after effects.
There have been some real Strange Selections by CSK as they kept on playing Watson even after big failures in first few games.
Also, Kedar Jadhav and Piyush Chawla have got a lot of chances despite regular failures.
While Imran Tahir got his first chance after 10 games.
Positives from this season :
1. Sam Curran has been a huge positive in this season. His all round ability makes him a bright prospect for the future.
2. Even though CSK’s batting failed miserably, Faf du Plessis stood as a lone warrior and remained in top 3 batsmen of the season.
3. Shardul Thakur has always been good for CSK but remains a bit inconsistent. This season he has looked really consistent.
Points To Ponder :
1. Players like Watson, Rayudu, Bravo, Tahir don’t play international cricket.
Will they still be considered for selection after such a trembling defeat??
2. Which players would CSK target in next auction??
3. After this season’s performance, will they shift their focus on youngsters??
4. Spin has always been the biggest strength of CSK. Who will be their prime spinners next season??
What do you think about CSK’s performance and their future chances!!